Wednesday, April 15, 2009

History of WJ Soldier Supporters

In 2003 I ran into a favorite past student of mine. Actually she was the twin sister of my student and the twins have the same birthday as mine. Anyway I asked her how things were going. She told me she was married and that her husband was deployed overseas. I suggested and asked if she wanted me to have my students write to Bryan and his buddies. She thought that was a nice idea. So we started to write to him and his team. Then other students, friends and acquaintances started to hear what we were doing. These people brought me names and asked if I could add their love ones to my list. So my mailing list grew larger. Thankfully with the help of some sponsors I started to send care packages to these soldiers. Currently I my list has 21 soldiers on it. It has been as large as 70 and for a time it was once only 14. Still people bring me the names and still I add them to the list. I keep saying I in all of this. I could not do this task without the help of my "Soldier Support Team". So far in this effort we have sent out over 4000 letters and we have sent over 2500 boxes. Each year my students have stepped up and pitched in. I think it is a good reflection on today's kids. Remember if you know a deployed soldier send me the address.
Hunter Jones
Will James Soldier Support Team Coordinator.
406-651-8523
jonesh@billings.k12.mt.us

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Jones and "Soldier Support Team”,

    I just wanted to pass on my gratitude for all the hard work that you do throughout the year for our deployed troops. Having served in the United States Marine Corps for over 22 years, I know firsthand how your efforts raise the morale of those serving overseas. Your thoughtfulness and actions truly make each of you a “True Patriot”!

    "SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATERS INFINITAS"
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"
    Freedom is not free but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share
    Joe Cobos
    MSgt USMCRet

    ReplyDelete